Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rare Monkey Born at the Santa Ana Zoo!


The Santa Ana Zoo in Prentice Park is pleased to announce the birth of a Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin on April 26, 2012. 

Closely related to the Golden Lion Tamarin, Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins have a black body with a golden-orange face and hands.  Weighing less than 1 pound as adults, the babies tip the scale at about 1/8th of a pound!  These rare monkeys are only found on the Atlantic coast of Brazil and are on special loan from the Brazilian government.

Photo by Ethan Fisher

Golden Lion Headed Tamarins are considered to be endangered by the IUCN.
Zoos have worked together for several decades on the conservation of this species.  Captive breeding, habitat restoration, conservation education and reintroductions into the wild are all part of the international effort to protect this species.   This birth is a great boost to the conservation program. 
 The Santa Ana Zoo’s four Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins combined with eleven closely related Golden Lion Tamarins make up one of the largest groups of lion tamarins in North America.






The Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins' preferred habitat is within mature forest, and it is found only in the lowland and premontane tropical forest fragments in the state of Bahia, in Brazil.   It has a very wide diet; it eats plants, flowers, nectar, insects and small invertebrates; which include insect larvae, spiders, snails, frogs, lizards, bird eggs and small snakes.



 The new baby is on view for the public daily between 10:00AM and 4:00PM at the Santa Ana Zoo in Prentice Park, 1801 Chestnut Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92701. 
Admission is $8.00 for adults, $5.00 for seniors and children 3-12 years. Children under three are free. 

 
Photo by Ethan Fisher


  For more information call 714-836-4000 or visit our website at: www.santaanazoo.org.




2 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete